Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Indoor Snowstorm

Nicky's bean bag chair was looking a little flat, so I picked up some extra styrofoam bean-bag beans to plump it up a bit. However, it was a lot harder than I anticipated to get those little buggers inside the bag. As it turns out, they have a lot of static, and since they are lighter than feathers, they go everywhere the second you move even an inch and stir up the air a little. Here is what resulted in my living room:
So, in my infinite wisdom, I tried to vacuum them up, but they clogged the canister, and I couldn't figure out how to open and empty it. (Where's Tim when you need him?! He is the vacuum king. He treats that Dyson better than our pets. Seriously). Probably more upsetting was seeing how much dirt was in the canister that evidently had previously been in my carpet. Oh well - best not to think about that.
I finally figured it out and continued trying to suck up all the little balls. It took the better part of an hour. But on the positive side, I learned a valuable lesson, (don't fill beanbag chairs while Tim is gone, because you may need him to figure out the rocket ship vacuum), and, Nicky thought is was great fun!

He learned a little science, too, like the unique physical properties of styrofoam. It sticks to you like magic!



















He was a great helper - although, we determined that picking up thousands of little balls one at a time wasn't really time-efficient.

7 comments:

Julie said...

They look like mini-marshmallows. It's making me want hot cocoa.

Ryan said...

I LOVE Nicky's shirt!

Julie said...

Ah, yes. So does my hubby. It has a matching British flag hoody. A gift from an indulgent friend who knows Tim's love of music.

Joseph said...

I once had a similar experience refilling a bean bag when I was a child. It took forever to get them all cleaned up.

queen said...

It looks like fun but it was prob. a mite frustrating. I kinda want to try filling a bean bag now just to see what it's like:)

The Oliver's said...

uhm, that's making my heart palpitate just looking at the pictures. Glad that wasn't me.

Maisy said...

I most certainly had to give a belly laugh to this. This past week, I bought Owen a large, shallow, plastic tub to put 20lbs of white rice in. That way he could do some digging, and scooping. Hmmm....well....yes, the vacuum and I have been best buddies all week. Especially the time I was on the phone with YOU, sweet sister, and he decided to scoop into the trains, and dump on the livingroom floor. AAAAAKKKK! lololol Rice has been in "time out" about every other day. lol
Auntie Janet